Palmitoleic acid (C16 :1 n-7), commonly known as omega-7, is a rare monounsatured fatty acid, which was generally reported to benefit the skin in promoting epithelialisation, and certain gynaecological problems (vaginal mycoses). Until now, sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides), a shrub widely found in Europe and Asia, and macadamia nuts have been the principal sources.
Palmitoleic Acid, a fish oil concentrate rich in omega-7
However, recent advances have enabled it to be isolated from anchovies - a new, exceptionally rich source with a concentration of 50% compared with that of 13%-20% in plant-source equivalents.
The discovery was made while scientists were focusing on the overall benefits of fatty acids, including the famous long-chain omega-3s, EPA and DHA, on improving cardiovascular function. Researchers at Harvard Medical School, the Cleveland Clinic and universities in Hawaii and Japan found that omega-7 had significant effects on the so-called ‘diseases of civilisation’, as a result of which they developed a method for isolating and purifying this precious fatty acid.
A purified and highly concentrated source of palmitoleic acid
Palmitoleic Acid contains Provinal®, a fish extract (from sustainably-fished wild anchovies) standardised to 50% palmitoleic acid. It is currently the only ultra-purified, non-GMO, highly-concentrated source of omega-7, with levels of antagonist fatty acids such as palmitic acid of less than 1%. It is guaranteed free from PCB residues, dioxins and heavy metals.
Research shows that Provinal® acts as an overall metabolism regulator:
• It significantly increases levels of HDL-cholesterol and decreases those of LDL- and total cholesterol;
• It reduces acute and chronic inflammation by acting on CRP (C-reactive protein);
• It reduces hepatic steatosis (the accumulation of fat in the liver);
• It improves the function and proliferation of beta cells in the pancreas and reduces insulin resistance. It therefore provides effect support for insulin production and improves blood sugar control;
• It improves glucose uptake by skeletal muscle;
• It reduces triglyceride levels more effectively than EPA;
• It acts as a ‘lipokine’, ie, a hormone that can modulate lipid metabolism by stimulating certain adipocyte nuclear receptors. It also serves as a metabolic biomarker, as low serum concentrations indicate a risk of metabolic disease and the need for lipogenesis stimulation.
Provinal® is currently one of the few nutrients that protects against atherosclerosis, by raising HDL-cholesterol and acting on inflammation markers. In this context, Palmitoleic Acid can be taken on its own or in combination with other nutraceuticals that promote good cardiovascular health - vitamin K2 necessary for blood coagulation, and EPA and DHA which help maintain blood lipid balance.
Each capsule of Palmitoleic Acid provides 210mg of palmitoleic acid. Taken for a minimum of 1 to 2 months, at a dose of 1 to 2 softgels a day with your main meals, this side effect-free supplement acts both curatively and preventively on various diseases and conditions: type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance and atherosclerosis.
Adults. Take 1-2 softgels a day.
Each softgel contains 210 mg of palmitoleic acid
Attention: contains fish derivatives.