LACTOBACILLUS REUTERI PROBIOTIC SUPPLEMENT
Supersmart’s lactobacillus reuteri probiotic supplement in delayed-release capsules offers significant benefits for cardiovascular health and helps to reduce cholesterol.
How does Lactobacillus reuteri improve heart health?
The human gastrointestinal tract contains about 100 trillion bacteria, which form a vital interface between the genome and the environment. Potentially weighing up to 2 kilos, these bacteria are collectively known as microbiota and research increasingly shows they play a more significant role in overall health than we may have originally thought. Among the thousand or so recorded species of probiotic bacteria — living microorganisms that have evolved in the human body — are lactic bacteria, of which bifidobacteria, lactococcus, streptococcus and lactobacillus are sub-categories.
Researchers are now discovering just how important probiotics are for human health as a whole; their benefits extend well beyond those associated with the digestive and immune systems.
Animal research and now clinical studies have demonstrated that ‘condition-specific’ probiotic supplements are fast-acting and effective for some metabolic diseases and are free from side effects:
reuteri produces an enzyme called BSH (bile salt hydrolase). This reduces intestinal absorption of dietary cholesterol, which is then excreted in stools. Like all fats, cholesterol requires conjugated bile acids in order to be absorbed. Studies show that taking L. reuteri increases the excretion of cholesterol in stools by breaking the chemical bonds of conjugated bile acids. A second mechanism, and the subject of new research, could also play a part in reducing both cholesterol and the risk of cardiovascular disease.
In addition to being reservoirs for excess cholesterol, bile acids are powerful signaling molecules that regulate cholesterol metabolism via the action of the farnesoid X receptor (FXR). When conjugated bile acids break apart in the presence of L. reuteri, that signaling is modulated, accelerating the breakdown and subsequent excretion of cholesterol and limiting the reabsorption of cholesterol from the intestine.
What do the studies show about L. reuteri?
Among the health benefits of L. reuteri, studies reveal the following advantages to taking this probiotic.
- Various animal studies have highlighted this probiotic strain can reduce total cholesterol by 38% and triglycerides by 40% without affecting levels of HDL-cholesterol. Even with a high-fat, high-cholesterol, low-fiber diet, taking the L. reuteri probiotic can prevent these substances from rising.
- In another study, mice fed a Western diet were researched. The mice that received the L. reuteri probiotic gained significantly less weight and accumulated less total and hepatic fat than those in a placebo group.
- In double-blind, placebo-controlled human studies, researchers reported that when subjects with hypercholesterolemia were given L. reuteri, there was a significant drop in total cholesterol (−9%) and LDL-cholesterol (−12 %), as well as apo-B-100 (−8 %), a marker of LDL lipoprotein size and a valuable indicator of risk of cardiovascular disease, CRP (C-reactive protein, an inflammation marker of around 62%, and levels of fibrinogen (-14%), an essential element of coagulation involved in blood clot formation.
- These convincing results were achieved after just 6–9 weeks of treatment, in complete safety and without the side effects associated with statins, while at the same time, maintaining levels of HDL-cholesterol and vitamin D, vital for the cardiovascular system.
- Another study has also highlighted the ability of Lactobacillus reuteri to increase by more than 26% serum levels of 25-hydroxy-vitamin D. It was the first clinical study to establish a link between oral supplementation with a probiotic and an increase in circulating vitamin D - a vitamin essential for the cardiovascular system, bone health and cell protection.
Lactobacillus reuteri capsules thus mark the start of a new era of probiotics, with effects that extend beyond the intestinal tract, helping to eradicate important physiological disorders in a totally safe, natural and inexpensive way. And, because it supports cardiovascular health, L. reuteri is becoming an ideal complement to other heart health supplements such as phytosterols, fish oils, soya or soluble fiber.
|Daily dose : 2 capsules
Number of doses per pack: 30
|Amount per dose
(5 billion microorganisms)
| Other ingredients: Acacia gum, rice bran.
Each capsule contains 100mg of Lactobacillus reuteri
(2.5 billion microorganisms).
Directions for use
Lactobacillus Reuteri Probiotic Dosage
Each Supersmart lactobacillus reuteri capsule contains 100mg of L. reuteri. We recommend adults take two capsules every day. You would need 2g of phytosterols, 4g of fish oils, at least 10g of fiber or 50g of soya to obtain the same efficacy. Each capsule provides 2.5 billion micro-organisms encapsulated using new technology, DR Caps™— delayed-release capsules. These capsules provide optimal intake for Lactobacillus reuteri because it is absorbed in the small intestine, where it passes directly into the bloodstream without coming into contact with destructive stomach acids. DR Caps™are certified 100% vegetarian and contain no synthetic coatings.
Value for money
Works to up oxytocin.
Il mio intestino sta meglio da quando lo assumo
Très bon produit
Un complément alimentaire de qualité que je recommande vivement. Je le prends régulièrement depuis des années en association avec les autres de la gamme, et depuis je ne suis plus victime des désagréments relatifs à la baisse d'immunité en mauvaise saison. Je les prends personnellement durant toute l'année et avec des résultats vraiment spectaculaires !
Des souches intéressantes à introduire, gélules ouvertes dans un yaourt de soja.
Très satisfaite très. Très Bon produit Surtout pour le système immunitaire
Complément probiotique pour le confort digestif et la santé cardiovasculaire
Client GOLETTO Ludwig
En complément pendant mon traitement de cancer
Très bon produit
- Tomaro-Duchesneau C, Jones ML, Shah D, Jain P, Saha S, Prakash S. Cholesterol assimilation by Lactobacillus probiotic bacteria: an in vitro investigation. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:380316. doi:10.1155/2014/380316
- Wu Y, Zhang Q, Ren Y, Ruan Z. Effect of probiotic Lactobacillus on lipid profile: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. PLoS One. 2017;12(6):e0178868. Published 2017 Jun 8. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0178868
- Poutahidis T, Kleinewietfeld M, Smillie C, et al. Microbial reprogramming inhibits Western diet-associated obesity. PLoS One. 2013;8(7):e68596. Published 2013 Jul 10. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0068596
- Jones ML, Martoni CJ, Parent M, Prakash S. Cholesterol-lowering efficacy of a microencapsulated bile salt hydrolase-active Lactobacillus reuteri NCIMB 30242 yoghurt formulation in hypercholesterolaemic adults. Br J Nutr. 2012;107(10):1505-1513. doi:10.1017/S0007114511004703
- Jones ML, Martoni CJ, Prakash S. Oral supplementation with probiotic L. reuteri NCIMB 30242 increases mean circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D: a post hoc analysis of a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98(7):2944-2951. doi:10.1210/jc.2012-4262