Brewer’s Yeast Hair Boost Supplement for the Hair
Brewer’s Yeast Hair Boost is an inactive brewer’s yeast supplement (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) enriched with the best nutrients for boosting the growth, strength, and beauty of the hair: zinc, biotin, and vitamin B6.
It is part of our hair supplement category.
Brewer’s Yeast: Definition and Benefits for the Hair
What exactly is brewer’s yeast?
Brewer’s yeast is a type of microscopic fungus used in the process of fermenting beer.
This well-known yeast is typically recommended for providing overall beauty support (skin, nails) and for giving a boost to tired, coarse, thin, or dull hair.
Composition and benefits of brewer’s yeast
The potential effects of brewer’s yeast are the result of its high nutritional value:
- It is one of the best natural sources of the B vitamins, widely-used to support the health and appearance of hair, skin, and nails. It contains, amongst others, vitamins B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), and B3 (niacin).
- It boasts a number of essential minerals for health in general and/or hair health in particular (magnesium, iron, zinc, etc.).
- It also contains proteins, the basic components of hair. Those in brewer’s yeast are particularly rich in essential amino acids.
- Finally, brewer’s years contains polysaccharides with possible effects on the immune system and potential anti-inflammatory properties. These polysaccharides are thought to support the health of the scalp, the site of hair follicles from which hair grows.
What Exactly is in our Brewer’s Yeast Supplement?
The ingredients in our Brewer’s Yeast Hair Boost supplement are:
- Inactive brewer’s yeast: our supplement actually contains a high, optimal dose of brewer’s yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The term 'inactive' means that the cells of this microscopic fungus are no longer alive and do not, therefore, have any probiotic activity. Inactive brewer's yeast is often better tolerated by the digestive system, as it does not cause fermentation or swelling n the gut. In addition, the particular brewer’s yeast chosen for our supplement contains a guaranteed minimum of 40% protein (1).
- Zinc: we have added zinc to our supplement as it helps maintain healthy skin, hair, and nails. It plays a key role in hair follicle development, and as a powerful antioxidant, helps protect scalp cells against oxidative stress. Zinc bisglycinate is one of the most bioavailable forms of this important mineral (2).
- Biotin: Brewer’s Yeast Hair Boost is enriched with vitamin B8 (biotin), as this 'beauty vitamin' helps maintain healthy hair by supporting scalp cells and protein metabolism including that of keratin, the main component in hair (3).
- Vitamin B6: the final ingredient in our supplement, vitamin B6 (pyridoxin), supports both the production of cysteine (a component of keratin) and the regulation of hormone activity, thus helping to prevent the hormone imbalances that can make hair too dry, greasy, thin, or brittle (4).
This synergistic combination of brewer’s yeast, zinc, and vitamins is perfect for anyone looking to increase the shine, thickness, and vitality of their hair.
How Should Brewer’s Yeast Hair Boost be Taken on a Daily Basis?
We recommend adults to take 2 capsules a day, with a glass of water.
Are there any Contraindications Associated with Brewer’s Yeast Supplementation for the Hair?
Brewer’s yeast supplements are not recommended for anyone suffering from inflammatory bowel diseases (such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease) or who are hypersensitive to biogenic amines (substances that can trigger migraines).
They should also be avoided if you are taking MAOI-type antidepressants or meperidine due to their high content of tyramine (an organic, monoamine-type chemical).
What Everyday Measures can you take to Improve the Care of your Hair?
Be aware of the lifecycle of hair
The hair growth cycle, which lasts an average of 3 to 4 years, governs how hair grows and is shed. We are unaware of it because our hair growth is never all at the same stage (5). The regrowth and growth stages are critical for hair quality; they require an adequate supply of nutrients to the hair follicle. Without it, the hair may end up being poorly-formed, weak, and brittle (6).
6 tips for improving the health of your hair
Alongside supplementing with brewer’s yeast, we would also recommend taking the following steps which should gradually make your hair healthier and more beautiful:
- Wash and dry it gently (no hairdryers or straighteners), once or twice a week depending on your level of activity and your environment, softly massaging the scalp to stimulate microcirculation;
- Have regular haircuts to remove split ends;
- Avoid products and situations likely to break the disulfide bonds in keratin and damage the hair (7): bleaching, dying, harsh shampoos, tight hairstyles, over-exposure to sun and seawater, stress, etc. (8);
- Avoid wearing beanie hats and other headgear every day;
- Adopt healthy lifestyle habits, including a balanced diet, relaxation, and adequate sleep to promote good oxygenation of the scalp;
- You can also combine this special brewer’s yeast supplement with a specific anti-hair loss lotion if you have noticed you are losing more hair than normal.
Two Other Supplements to take in Conjunction with Brewer’s Yeast for the Hair
Silicon and hair regrowth
If you have a particular problem with hair regrowth, you could try taking silicon in addition to Brewer's Yeast Hair Boost. Silicon is a mineral important for hair and nail structure. The supplement for example, provides a significant dose of both biotin and silicon, the latter in the form of arginine silicate for improved uptake.
Combine brewer’s yeast with collagen
And if you are looking to take care of your skin and hair in general, you can combine your brewer’s yeast supplement with a course of marine collagen (such as our product ).
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Directions for use
Adults: Take 2 vegetarian capsules a day.
Precautions: do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet or a healthy lifestyle. Keep out of children’s reach. Store away from light, heat, and humidity. As with any nutritional supplement, consult a health care practitioner before use if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a medical condition.