Liposomal GABA – Inhibitory Neurotransmitter with L-Theanine
Liposomal GABA is a dietary supplement containing liposomal GABA with L-theanine.
Powerfully-dosed, it comes in liquid form with a dosing cap for ease of use. Its innovative, encapsulated-liposome form ensures optimal bioavailability of the GABA and better delivery to the brain.
This supplement is part of our Stress & Mood category.
GABA and L-Theanine in Liposomal Form, for Optimal Bioavailability
Liposomal GABA brings together two molecules associated with neuronal activity, combined in liposomes (phospholipid-based vesicles):
- Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). This inhibitory neurotransmitter is naturally present in 30% to 40% of synapses. When taken orally, GABA has trouble crossing the blood-brain barrier due to the large size of the GABA molecule. Using liposomes protects the GABA and facilitates its passage, helping it to penetrate deep into the brain. Liposomal GABA is thus notable for its exceptional and unrivalled uptake (1).
- L-theanine. This amino acid found mainly in green tea is known to delay the stimulant effects of theine. Several studies also point to its potential for supporting the production of GABA and for mitigating the glutamate receptors (NMDA) responsible for neuronal excitability (2-3).
Description and Role of Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) in the Brain
What is GABA?
With the formula C4H9NO2, gamma-aminobutyric acid (usually abbreviated to GABA) is an amino acid and the major inhibitory neurotransmitter of the central nervous system and spinal cord. It is produced from glutamic acid under the effect of an enzyme called glutamate decarboxylase, which uses vitamin B6 as a cofactor (4).
What benefits does GABA offer?
Present to varying degrees throughout the body, GABA is particularly active in neurons of the cerebral cortex and cerebellum. It works by binding to GABA-A ad GABA-B receptors in order to open ion channels and inhibit the transmission of chemical messages between nerve cells (5-6). This produces a calming effect on the nervous system and body in general.
GABA supplementation is used for increasing levels of GABA in the body and brain. People who are stressed or worried often report feeling calmer and more positive, having better control over their emotions, and having less disturbed sleep following supplementation with GABA (7-9).
GABA is also believed to have a potential neurotrophic effect (it supports the growth of certain nerve cells). Its interactions with gastrointestinal function (especially in the gut-brain axis) are also the focus of scientific research (10-11).
5 Good Reasons to Choose this Liquid Liposomal GABA Supplement
Here are 5 reasons to choose our supplement:
- High dose of gamma-aminobutyric acid (500 mg per 10 mL dosing cap).
- Maximum uptake and efficacy as a result of liposomal encapsulation technology which ensures delivery of the GABA to the brain.
- Convenient, drinkable liquid form of GABA in easy-to-measure doses, which as a bonus, is the best galenic form for supporting the liposomes.
- Synergy with L-theanine, also present at a high dose (200 mg per dosing cap). L-theanine has been widely associated with boosting the psychological effects of GABA.
- A lemony taste (natural lemon flavoring) for a pleasantly tart flavor.
GABA Supplements: Use and Contraindications
How should Liposomal GABA be taken?
The recommended dose is one 10 mL dosing cap of Liposomal GABA a day, diluted in a glass of water or fruit juice.
For maximum absorption, it is better to take it on an empty stomach. However, those with a delicate digestive system can take it with a meal to prevent any discomfort.
As to the right time to take it, it really depends on the desired health improvement; if it is to cope better with the stress of the day ahead, take it in the morning. If you have difficulty falling asleep, in the evening before bed is best.
GABA and L-theanine: contraindications to be aware of
Liposomal GABA supplementation is usually well-tolerated.
It is, however, contraindicated for pregnant women and those with epilepsy. You should also be careful if you are already on any anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication, as their effects can be cumulative. There are some reports in the literature of allergic reactions (rashes, itching, dizziness, etc.) though these are fortunately rare.
Important: remember that L-theanine supplements (not to be confused with theine) do not contain any stimulants.
5 Tips for Better Day-to-Day Stress Management and Positive Mood
Here are our 5 tips to help you manage stress and keep a positive mood:
- Boost endogenous GABA production with a diet rich in nutrients, especially glutamine (from animal protein, pulses, leafy vegetables), branched-chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine and valine found in nuts, eggs, poultry, cheese...) and vitamin B6 (in offal, grains, pulses...) (12). Also make sure that you consume enough magnesium (dark chocolate, nuts, wholegrain rice...), a mineral which supports normal psychological function (13).
- Give yourself sufficient rest time to recover physically and mentally and try to get enough sleep (7 to 9 hours a night) (14).
- Take regular exercise to relieve tension and release the famous 'feel-good neurotransmitters' (15).
- Engage in relaxation exercises such as cardiac coherence breathing, yoga, or mindfulness meditation (16).
- Maintain a rich and fulfilling social life (17).
The Best Supplements to Take Alongside Liposomal GABA
GABA and adaptogen plants
To boost your resistance to stress, combine GABA with the rebalancing effects of adaptogens such as which supports mental health, relaxation, and healthy heart function (18), or themagnolia-phellodendron combo in two plants used in traditional Chinese medicine for over 2,000 years for improving the flow of Qi (vital energy) (19).
GABA and probiotics
If you suffer from persistent low mood or repeated mood swings, probiotic supplementation can be invaluable in helping to balance your gut microbiota, which is important for mental health (try, for example, based on the very latest advances in neuroscience). Some strains of lactic bacteria (Lactobacilli and Bifidobacteria) have also been found to secrete GABA directly (20).
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Directions for use
Adults: Take 1 dosing cap (10 mL) per day in a glass of water or fruit juice.
Each 10 mL dosing cap contains 500 mg of GABA and 200 mg of L-theanine.
Attention: once opened, keep refrigerated for a maximum of 1 month. Shake well before taking.
Precautions: do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet or a healthy lifestyle. Keep out of children’s reach. Store away from light, heat, and humidity. As with any nutritional supplement, consult a health care practitioner before use if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a medical condition.