Peptidea® is a fish protein hydrolysate. It consists of peptides, 18 amino acids with a molecular weight lower than 1000 daltons, acting as precursors of endorphins and other neurotransmitters such as serotonin and melatonin, which play a regulatory role in the nervous system. They therefore help the body to adapt effectively to physical or mental stress.
In response to stress, danger or emotion, the body initiates two mechanisms:
First, the adrenal gland releases adrenalin and other catecholamines to prepare the body to react by rapidly providing the brain and muscles with maximum energy;
Then it's the turn of the pituitary gland and adrenal cortex. The hypothalamus secretes a hormone, CRF (corticotrophin-releasing factor) which stimulates the pituitary gland. The latter releases ACTH into the blood which is essential for the secretion of corticosteroids (cortisone, cortisol
) by the adrenal cortex. Cortisol, often called the stress hormone', is known to have a blood sugar-elevating effect. At high levels, it stimulates protein catabolism (formation of amino acids). During prolonged periods of stress, high levels of cortisol are secreted, potentially damaging the limbic system involved in emotion, as well as weakening immune defences.
Trials conducted on rats show that, under conditions of stress, Peptidea® helped reduce the intensity of ACTH secretion. In addition, in animals treated with Peptidea®, the rate of transport of adrenalin and noradrenalin was slower. Finally, a change in GABA levels (gamma amino-butyric acid) in the brain was observed, similar to that resulting from an injection of benzodiazepine.
Compared with benzodiazepines, orally-administered fish peptides in Peptidea® showed a clear anti-stress effect in adult Wistar rats. Unlike benzodiazepines, Peptidea® produced this anti-stress action without any sedative effect, the animals maintaining all their adaptive capacity.
Previous studies had shown that fish protein hydrolysates:
· were effective at reducing anxiety in a healthy student population, the benefits appearing within a week of starting treatment;
· reduced symptoms (muscle and mental fatigue, anxiety, insomnia, depression) in 65% of subjects suffering from aesthenia and severe anxiety, after just two weeks' treatment;
· had beneficial effects in cases of cognitive and memory problems, with improvements observed in quality of sleep, motivation, concentration and memorization; their beneficial effect on depression-related fatigue and weakness may explain the improvements in memory and cognitive function;
· led to improved learning as a result of reducing anxiety;
· provided beneficial effects on stress which remained for a while even after treatment ceased;
· offered effective relief from symptoms of fatigue, anxiety and depression caused by chronic stress.
Take between one and six capsules every morning for at least 15 consecutive days.
Warning: Do not take Peptidea® if allergic to fish.