Asafoetida Odorless Supplement for Digestive Discomfort and Bloating
Ferula Asafoetida is an extract of assa foetida resin (Ferula asafoetida) standardized to 2% volatile oils. These compounds are particularly active in the digestive system.
An Ayurvedic remedy traditionally used for treating digestive disorders (gastrointestinal problems, bloating, etc.), asafoetida attracts growing scientific interest following an increase in positive clinical studies.
What is Assafoetida, the Plant from which our Ferula Asafoetida Supplement is Made?
Assa-foetida is a large perennial plant traditionally used in Asia for relieving a wide range of digestive problems such as flatulence, intestinal spasms, transient stomach aches, cramps, and dyspepsia (persistent abdominal pain) in general (1).
In India, asafoetida is an important spice in Ayurvedic medicine, known as 'Hing' or 'Hingu'.
Many scientific studies have been conducted to confirm empirical evidence gained from many populations over centuries. This research has revealed the existence of complex mechanisms of action in the digestive process (2-4).
What Explains the Potential Gastric and Intestinal Benefits of Assa Foetida?
As with all species of the Ferula genus, Ferula Asafoetida secretes a specific substance when the root is cut: a gum-resin (5).
It is this unusual compound which contains the precious substances responsible for the supposed benefits of ferula: resins (coumarins, ferulic acids, terpenoids, etc.), gums, and volatile oils (essential oils), several of which are thought to have antispasmodic properties 6).
Why Choose our Ferula Asafoetida Supplement?
Our Ferula Asafoetida supplement contains a high-quality extract called Asafin®, which uses a patented process to increase the bioavailability, efficacy, and palatability of assafoetida. This extract has several advantages:
- It has been developed using proprietary, innovative technology based on soluble fiber (galactomannans) from fenugreek seeds (FenuMAT™), to ensure optimal storage conditions and bioavailability.
- Asafin® extract comes in the form of flavorless, odorless capsules for greater acceptability, while assafoetida gum-resin powder normally gives off a strong, unpleasant odor due to its organosulfur compounds, typical of Allium species.
- It contains at least 2% volatile oils.
- It is safe and supported by scientific research, including a clinical study on dyspepsia (a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 43 subjects).
Who is this Asafoetida Supplement Aimed at?
Given the scientific research into Ferula asafoetida and traditional use of the plant, this extract is likely to be of interest to people with functional digestive disorders where no lesion has been found. These fall into two main types:
- Digestive disorders of the stomach: loss of appetite, mild heartburn, belching, feeling over-full, temporary nausea, etc.
- Digestive disorders of the gut: intestinal gas, spasms, stomach aches, bloating, flatulence, etc.
People who are overweight, anxious or stressed, who engage in endurance sports, or who have a chronic disease, are more likely to suffer from these sorts of recurrent problems.
Attention: persistent problems of this kind should be investigated by a gastroenterologist to identify a possible medical cause. After age 50, any change in intestinal transit should be checked by a specialist and may require an endoscopy or colonoscopy.
How Should Ferula Asafoetida Natural Extract be Taken?
We recommend adults to take 2 capsules a day, i.e., 500 mg of Asafin®. Clinical studies have used this same dose (2x250 mg a day).
Please note that this supplement is not recommended for people who are allergic or sensitive to plants from the umbelliferous family.
7 Simple Steps to Support your Gut Health
In addition to taking this supplement for your digestive problems, we would also recommend adopting these 7 measures:
- Eat slowly and calmly, chewing your food thoroughly, and drinking in between meals;
- Avoid over-rich foods;
- Do not lie down after a meal;
- Take regular, moderate exercise to maintain optimal digestive transit;
- Minimize alcohol consumption and smoking;
- Limit your intake of fizzy drinks, coffee, and heavily-spiced or acidic foods;
- Consider keeping a food journal to identify any potential triggers if symptoms persist.
Which Supplements Should you Take Alongside your Asafoetida Resin Extract?
To support your digestive system, it is also worth considering the following supplements in addition to Ferula Asafoetida:
- Probiotics to help balance your gut microbiota such as the classic and
- Enzyme formulations such as
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Directions for use
Adults: Take 2 capsules a day.
Each capsule contains 250 mg of Asafin®.
Precautions: do not exceed the recommended daily dose. This product is a nutritional supplement and should not be used as a substitute for a varied, balanced diet or a healthy lifestyle. Keep out of children’s reach. Store away from light, heat, and humidity. As with any nutritional supplement, consult a health care practitioner before use if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a medical condition.