¤ R-alpha-lipoic acid is the form of lipoic acid produced naturally by the body and the only one which acts as a mitochondrial enzyme cofactor. Sodium R-lipoate, a sodium salt of R-alpha-lipoic acid, has much greater bioavailability than R-alpha-lipoic acid. It rapidly produces blood levels 10 to 30 times higher than is possible with pure R-alpha-lipoic acid. More stable and more easily soluble in the aqueous phase, it is much more easily absorbed.
R-alpha-lipoic acid's efficacy and superiority over other forms have been demonstrated in numerous studies which suggest, in particular, that it :
- increases or maintains levels of other antioxidants, particularly vitamins C and E, CoQ10 and glutathione. It prevents depletion of glutathione in cytoplasm and mitochondria ;
- increases cellular and mitochondrial antioxidant activity and prevents degradation of mitochondria. It effectively halts age-related increased in oxidative stress ;
- has beneficial effects on metabolism and cellular energy production, preventing metabolic dysfunction linked to the presence of advanced glycation end products ;
- is the only form of lipoic acid to demonstrate increased life expectancy in immuno-deprived mice ;
- is more effective than S-alpha-lipoic acid at increasing insulin-stimulated glucose transport and glucose metabolism in the skeletal muscle of insulin-resistant rats ;
- increases the metabolic rate and reduces age-associated gains in body fat mass ;
- reduces atherosclerotic lesions in large blood vessels ;
- mimics the effects of insulin on glucose absorption in insulin-resistant cells and may help restore glucose availability in tissues such as skeletal muscle ;
- prevents hyperglycaemia and reduces insulin levels ;
- may prevent and treat diabetes and some of its complications. It is particularly effective at treating retinopathy (affecting the retina) and diabetic neuropathy. It also lowers the risk of cardiovascular complications common among diabetics ;
- improves memory, reverses cognitive dysfunction and protects against age-related neuro-degeneration ;
- may increase production of acetylcholine, an essential neurotransmitter of the nervous system deficient in the brains of those with Alzheimer's disease.
Take 1 to 2 vegetarian capsules a day or as advised by your therapist.