Lymphatonic contains Lymphaselect™, a patented extract of Melilotus officinalis standardised to provide 18% coumarin. The medicinal properties of Melilotus officinalis were recognisedlong ago by our ancestors - melilot-based preparations were used to treat inflammation, ulcers and swelling.
Standardised extract of Melilotus officinalis contains a series of coumarins, flavonoids and terpenoids. It has veinotonic and capillary-protective properties, largely due to the presence of flavonoids. Its main constituent, coumarin, belongs to the family of benzopyrones known for their ability to reduce protein-rich oedemas.
Scientific research has shown that standardised extract of Melilotus officinalis:
- increases lymphatic flow; a Melilotus-based preparation administered to volunteers increased lymphatic flow of the thoracic duct, confirming the lymphokinetic properties of the preparation and of coumarin;
- has anti-inflammatory and anti-oedema effects: in rabbits with venous stasis in their hind legs, a Melilotus-based preparation significantly increased lymphatic and venous circulation;
- reduces oedematous swelling induced by experimental thrombophlebitis in dogs. Rutin appears to boost coumarin's anti-oedema effect;
- increases capillary blood flow in organs and tissues such as myocardium and striated muscles and, in dogs, had a protective effect against myocardial lesions induced by ischemia.
Clinical studies have shown that this standardized extract effectively eases symptoms associated with lymphoedema or chronic venous insufficiency including varicosities, haemorrhoids, thrombophlebitis or post-operative oedemas. In particular, they have found that administering the extract:
- over a 30 day-period, to subjects with varicosities, improved subjective symptoms, and in those with thrombophlebitis, reduced oedema, ulcers and pain;
- for 10 to 28 days to patients with haemorrhoids, reduced anal haemorrhage and oedema while relieving subjective symptoms;
- for 6 to 8 months to patients with lymphoedema, reduced oedema and improved subjective symptoms.
Studies on baboons as well as on humans have shown no hepatoxicity.
Take one to two capsules a day or as advised by your therapist.