Pterostilbene Supplement for Regulation of Gene Expression
What is Pterostilbene?
SuperSmart’s pterostilbene supplement is a highly bioavailable natural dietary compound in the form of vegetarian capsules with anti-inflammatory, anti-neoplastic, and antioxidant properties.
Pterostilbene (4'-hydroxy-3,5-dimethoxystilbene) comes from the same family as resveratrol. It is actually a double methylated version, which means:
- It has greater bioavailability; around 80% compared with only 20%.
- It is easily transported into cells with two to four times better cellular uptake.
- It has a half-life of around seven times longer, which means it breaks down more slowly.
This valuable substance has been the subject of numerous studies emphasizing its considerable benefits to human health. These studies have focused on the "trans" isomer of pterostilbene.
Pterostilbene is naturally present in blueberries but at levels far too low to provide benefits. You would need about 220 pounds of blueberries to obtain a clinically relevant amount of pterostilbene.
Pterostilbene acts via fundamental biological interactions to control gene expression and modulate enzyme activity. It has a beneficial effect on genes involved in the development of cancer, atherosclerosis, diabetes, and inflammation.
SuperSmart’s pterostilbene is entirely composed of PteroPure®, the only patented, clinically-studied form of trans-pterostilbene. Its purity is over 99%.
Given all the benefits of buying pterostilbene capsules, this bioactive compound is also featured in other potent antioxidant formulations, such as the anti-aging product available to buy at SuperSmart. Along with pterostilbene, it contains polydatin, a resveratrol glucoside, and fisetin, which has a stabilizing effect. There is also which combines 12 natural extracts with antioxidant properties, including an extract of Japanese knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum Sieb).
What do Studies Show About Pterostilbene?
So, what exactly is pterostilbene good for?
Here are some of the benefits you can expect from one of the best pterostilbene supplements available:
- The journal Apoptosis reported on a study carried out in 2012, which highlighted that pterostilbene protects against atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).
- In studies on mice and human cells, pterostilbene prevented accumulation of LDL-cholesterol and protected against oxidative stress, a biological process considered a key factor in the development of cardiovascular diseases.
- Pterostilbene’s effect on blood lipid profiles conferred much higher results compared with Ciprofibrate, a drug widely prescribed for hypercholesterolemia and which acts like pterostilbene as an agonist for nuclear receptors with PPAR- α transcription factor function. By improving blood flow, pterostilbene also normalizes diastolic and systolic blood pressure.
- Studies show that if you buy pterostilbene, it may improve concentration, as well as short- and long-term memory.
- Research shows it has a calming, de-stressing effect that relieves anxiety and nervous tension.
- A study on mice published in 2012 in Neurobiology of Aging showed that it had a protective effect against Alzheimer's disease and age-related cognitive decline. The study's authors attributed the improvements to reducing inflammation-associated factors.
- Pterostilbene's antioxidant power enables it to neutralize free radicals associated with oxidative stress and to maintain the antioxidant status of elderly cells, according to some studies.
- Researchers have demonstrated in rats that pterostilbene can reduce blood sugar by around 56% (making its efficacy comparable to that of some drugs prescribed for type II diabetes) while restoring levels of the blood sugar regulating hormone and glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) to normal levels. It can be drawn from this that pterostilbene improves carbohydrate metabolism, and its energy-regulating mechanism can easily be incorporated into weight loss programs.
- For athletes and fitness enthusiasts, pterostilbene may enable a speedier recovery, as well as improved mitochondrial energy function (ATP production) and quicker production of nitric oxide via the eNOS (endothelial nitric oxide synthase) pathway, based on research.
- Research conducted in Chicago showed pterostilbene acts as an inhibitor of the P450 enzyme, which activates pro-carcinogenic substances that can convert cigarette smoke and certain pesticides into carcinogens.
- Other studies published in the Journal of Surgical Research showed that pterostilbene inhibits the growth of some forms of cancer (breast, colon, and prostate) through modification of the cell cycle, induction of apoptosis, and inhibition of proliferation of other cancer cells or metastasis.
Pterostilbene Capsules Side Effects
If you plan to take a supplement with pterostilbene, discussing the potential side effects with your healthcare provider is always best. Fortunately, human trials show there are minimal pterostilbene supplement side effects. It appears to be non-toxic and well-tolerated by most healthy individuals, and taking up to 250 mg per day shows no adverse side effects when compared to taking a placebo.
However, taking high doses of pterostilbene supplementation has been shown to cause an increase in LDL cholesterol. To avoid the side effects of pterostilbene supplements, it is best to stick to a trans pterostilbene dosage of 100 to 250 mg daily or to combine the dose with Grape seed extract.
Even when taking one of the best pterostilbene supplements available, it is advised to discuss your healthcare needs with a professional. Underlying conditions and medications may increase your risk of experiencing side effects. More research is needed to fully understand the risks when you buy pterostilbene.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Directions for use
How to Take our Pterostilbene Supplement?
Whether you are looking to take pterostilbene for anti-aging benefits or to boost your overall health, you should take a dose of 100 to 200 mg daily. This pterostilbene supplement dosage can be achieved by taking 1 or 2 capsules daily. Each pTeroPure® (Trans-Pterostilbene) capsule contains 100 mg of the highest quality pterostilbene. This bottle will last thirty days if you take 100 mg daily.
Taking a smaller dosage in conjunction with Grape seed extract might mitigate some of the adverse effects on cholesterol compared to taking the supplement alone.
In addition, the amount of pterostilbene you should take depends on your:
- Health conditions;
- Current medications;
It is always best to start with a minimal dose to ensure you do not experience any adverse effects. You can always increase the dosage once you know your body reacts positively.
Because pterostilbene is a fat-soluble nutrient, it is best if you take your dosage with food. Also, make sure you store your supplements in a safe, dry location, away from children's reach.